We are now accepting applications for the 2014-15 academic year. - The deadline for submitting your application is April 1st 2014.
The Abe and Gert Nutkis (AGN) Scholarship for Israel Study and Service enables young adults 18-30 to study in Israel and foster personal involvement with Israel society and Zionist ideals.
Scholarship recipients are eligible to receive grants of up to $5,000 each for full-year study in a co-educational institution of higher learning in Israel. Preference will be given to students who have little or no previous experience in Israel. First priority will be given to students who demonstrate financial need.
In order to be eligible for the AGN Scholarship, candidates must be planning to enroll in a coeducational program in Israel for an entire academic year.
Recipients must concurrently perform a minimum of four hours weekly volunteer service throughout the academic year with ATZUM (www.ATZUM.org) or an ATZUM approved organization.
How to Apply
- Fill out this online form.
- Send the following two Word documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org – subject line “ATZUM AGN Fund application”
a) CV (Resume)
b) Personal statement indicating why you wish to spend the year learning and volunteering in Israel. Please also describe your most difficult and rewarding life experiences.
Applicants for the AGN Scholarship will not be considered until all of the above steps have been completed!
- The application must be submitted from the applicant’s email account and not by anyone else on their behalf.
- The above mentioned questions must be answered in order to be considered for the scholarship.
- Please indicate that you wrote your personal statement independently. Any help in composing the personal statement must be cited.
- Provide telephone and e-mail contact information for two references prepared to discuss your personal strengths and weaknesses. References may not be relatives.
- A personal interview will be conducted with suitable applicants.
- All application materials must be submitted via email ( email@example.com– subject line “ATZUM AGN Fund application). Confidentiality of all application materials will be protected.
- AGN recipients’ volunteer work must advance social justice causes or assist underserved populations.
Abe and Gert Nutkis
Abe and Gert Nutkis dedicated their lives to family and to strengthening the State of Israel, Jewish education, and the Jewish community in Jersey City, New Jersey. Of modest means and material aspirations, for fifty years they served on the boards and committees of numerous agencies; devoted countless hours of daily volunteer service; and worked tirelessly to secure funding to ensure that children in their local community and beyond could attend Jewish schools and camps. They died in 2007 within a month of each other. The funds they bequeathed for Jewish education will carry on the legacy of their passion for Israel and the Jewish people.